Viticulture: Our Ethos
Sustainability, Biodiversity and Minimum Environmental Impact
Adopting sustainable practices means protecting the planet earth for future generations. We are convinced that every choice must be made with respect for our environment and the health of the vineyards.
Together with the scientists and botanists of Vite Nova Vine Wellness, we have embarked on an ambitious multi-year scientific project on our vineyards and our sustainable agriculture methods. Through the periodic collection of microfauna samples, and through the identification and cataloging of the flora present there, we are able to constantly monitor the health of our vineyards and how our activities affect the present ecosystem. We want to make sure we can give back to this place more than we will be able to take from it.
Improve biodiversity year after year
Maintain a sustainable and low environmental impact ecosystem in the vineyard
Continuously review and improve all of our processes
Maintain sustainable and ethical business goals
Develop a diverse and inclusive company
A Commitment to the territory
The vineyard is one element within a cycle – plant, animal and microbial life, supported by the quality of the soil and water, contribute to the overall health of the environment and the development and quality of our grapes.
What do we do
We minimize the impact on the environment by doing only what is necessary:
- We use a holistic approach in order to constantly optimize our business, work in the vineyard, management, marketing and sales.
- We regularly evaluate and improve every step of the manufacturing process, from pruning to delivery.
- In the vineyard, we take into consideration all aspects concerning the protection of the environment – we use organic and natural fertilizers and, most importantly, only when it is really necessary; we do not use insecticides.
Organic vs. Sustainable
Organic viticulture is a certification that, for the most part, limits the products used during grapegrowing. For us, sustainability represents something greater – it links the most important aspects for the environment to the social and economic ones. For Montefili, the organic certification does not fully represent the impact that a company has on the environment and for this reason, we have chosen not to pursue it at this time.
Our greatest tool for tackling climate change
Biodiversity represents the richness of life on earth – the multitude of plants, animals and microorganisms, the genetic variability they possess, and the complex ecosystems that make up the biosphere. The future of our planet and of the human species depends on biodiversity. It is fundamental for human existence and for a fertile planet. Biodiversity is the foundation of the food we eat and the air we breathe, and we depend on it to protect us from serious consequences such as pollution, floods and climate change.
What we do in the vineyard
Supporting the biodiversity of plants and animals allows us to:
- Keep pests under control without using insecticides
- Promote the welfare of beneficial insects
- Improve the resilience of our vineyards, which means improving their resistance to adverse events
- Promote the balance of the ecosystem, ensuring its self-regulation